Monday, August 16, 2010

First Day of School

I realized the other day that this is our sixth first day of school. Emma started preschool the day after she turned 3 in February of 2006. Then we had K-3, K-4, K-5 and 1st grade.

This year is 1st grade again. We are repeating 1st grade and I am thrilled about it. I don't see any sense in rushing through elementary school! We'll stay as long as we can!

This is also our 4th new school. Hopefully, it will be the last for a while. Nothing would make me happier than for us to stay in one elementary school until they kick us out and send us to middle school! We have quite a few friends who have kids at Bethel and my hope is that they will get to know Emma, and she them, and begin to build some friendships.

My friend Jessica sent me a message today that they had seen Emma on their way in this morning and she had pointed her out to her daughter Caroline. When Caroline got home, she reported that she had seen Emma in the hall and had said Hi to her. I could have cried! I told Jessica to be sure to thank Caroline and to assure her that while Emma may not say Hi back, she does hear it and notice it and appreciate it. I'm hoping this is just the first of many new friends for Emma!

I was doing OK when I dropped her off until it was time for me to head out. Emma gave me this look that, to me, said "I'm trying to be brave . . . but I don't know about this, Mommy." I almost lost it. But, her teacher reported that she had a great first day, she seemed happy as a clam getting off the bus, and has had a good afternoon.

These are the days when having a child who can't - not just is reluctant to - not just that it's like pulling teeth to get the info - but that cannot tell me about her day could drive me insane. Or maybe to order a peppermint mocha (which I totally did a few hours after I dropped her off!).

I would give anything to know what she is thinking, feeling and wondering. Does she understand that school is back in for the year? Does she understand that she's going back tomorrow and the next day and the next? Does she wonder where her teachers from the last two years are and why the classroom is different? Did she enjoy her day? Was everyone nice to her? What was her favorite part of the day? Her least favorite?

These are the questions that I never get answers to. So I take them to One who knows the answers. And I beg Him to communicate with her little heart and ease any anxiety she may be feeling. And to give me wisdom to know things I couldn't otherwise know. To show me when to intervene and to give me the good sense to stay out of the way when she's got it under control (as she usually does!).

It helps me to remember that He loves her more than I do.

And that He is holding her safely in His arms.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Love the new look of the blog, Lynn!

Cindy said...

It sounds like she had a good first day! I know the feeling...not knowing how Natalie's day goes at school. I can only really judge by her smile at the end of the day and excitement to go back the next day that she is enjoying it. But it is a calming feeling to know that God is watching her and taking care of her more than I can! I love the last picture of Emma!

Jacqui said...

Hi Lynn - I am not sure if I have left a comment yet on your blog but I have been following it for a while. Really really really enjoy your writing.
Last month was our first 1st day with our little Matt. So many emotions for me to process. I have enjoyed seeing his enjoyment of going to his play group each morning, but I also find it really tough that I am unable to hear what he thinks about it all when I pick him up. And you are so right - that we can trust Our Dad to speak into their hearts in a way that we can't.

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Kristin - Thanks!
Cindy - I agree. It gets easier as the year progresses and she so obviously wants to go back. But the first few days . . . car line just about killed me this morning!
Jacqui - So nice to meet you! I've seen your posts on the listserve - the poster turned out great!Loved your blog and will be praying for you!

1blessedmommy said...

Hi. I am a friend of Melanie Barrett's and she was sweet enough to share this blog with me. I have a son that is 5yrs old, does not speak at all, and is assumed to have a genetic disorder by his doctors. Reading your blog I so easily related to wanting to know what your daughter is thinking about her first day. Yesterday was Cullen's first day in his classroom as well and I so want to know what he thought of the day. He has a blog as well called www.cullysvoice.wordpress.com if you would like to "meet him." Sounds like we have a lot in common.
Best wishes and God Bless!
Tresh Crosby

Kelly said...

I know Emma had a great day! I know I will be so stressed when AnnaKate has to go to "big" school. I am sure your mocha eased the pain a little...

I also pray that AnnaKate can communicate her happy days, sad days and worries to me as well.

Kelly