Tuesday, September 23, 2008

8 Pounds, 2 Ounces!



Well...it has been a very challenging couple of weeks! We got home from the hospital on Friday afternoon and had a very long night with James. By Saturday, we were pretty sure he wasn't getting enough to eat and was getting dehydrated. A quick phone call to our wonderful pediatrician (thanks, Roy!) and we started supplementing - I would nurse, and then we'd give him an ounce of formula. What a difference! James was soooo much happier - which makes sense - the poor kid wasn't hungry anymore!!!



The downside to this plan is that it makes each feeding take an hour or more - I nurse, give him a bottle, and then go pump - this has been seriously cutting in to my sleep!!!



We did this all last week and it was a huge help to us that Mom was here - we couldn't have done it without her. Between the severe sleep deprivation and Emma still needing all the usual things she needs - you know, like food, baths, etc! - we really would have been up the creek without Mom!



I am feeling much better and am pretty much recovered from labor & delivery. But, I have managed to get some tendonitis in my left shoulder. The pain in my shoulder, which radiates up into my neck at times and at other times just throbs, has actually been worse than labor. I'm not kidding. But, I've had some therapy on it, I'm icing it frequently and taking lots of anti-inflammatory medication and pain medication and I think, I hope, it is slowly getting better.



We went to the pediatrician this morning. Our little peanut weighed 7 lbs., 6 ounces a week ago. This morning, he weighs 8lb. 2 oz. He's huge! Actually, the best part of this is that we can start to taper off the supplemental feedings which hopefully will get us to the point where most of the time I just nurse him and the feeding will be over!


That's the latest...we do feel like we are slowly getting our act together...key word here - slowly!!

1 comment:

Donnie Phipps said...

Well hello James, you are looking mighty handsome, sure am glad you are getting enough to eat now cause you have enough Phipps in you that sleepy + hungry = grouchy .... At a Girl Mom , Lynn when you said you had a pain I first thought of Brian but then you said shoulder I expect Brian's pain would be a bit lower :-) And Emma singing to James was just way too CUTE!! see ya soon Donnie & Glenda